27 Jun Our Top 5 Questions for Managing Change
Uncertain times can create havoc with the human mindset, especially when navigating through a period of change.
Plus, we all go through change at different rates. For example, whether or not the change is our choice can affect how quickly we adapt. How much we are likely to be affected personally could determine how invested we might be in seeing something through, and how far reaching we perceive the change is likely to be, may see some of us not bother to embrace it at all. So, it’s no surprise that it is described as a move out of our ‘comfort zone’.
Here are our top 5 tips for managing change and keeping those fight, flight or freeze reactions in check:
- What is inside your control and what isn’t? Answering this question helps you plan clearly for the known challenges, leaving you free to adapt to the surprises. This way you’re less likely to become overwhelmed about things you can’t change.
- How are you really feeling? Use your emotions as a guide in your decisions, but keep your behaviour in check. Negatively acting on your emotions and/or ignoring how you feel will hinder your own, and possibly others, ability to progress through.
- What support do you need? Change can be exhilarating and exhausting! Whether it’s time to withdraw from the situation for a while, speak with a close friend, do some exercise, spend some time with your family, socialise etc. Do allow yourself time and space to regenerate. You’re more likely to have the resilience you need at difficult times than if you insist on pushing forward.
- How helpful are you? Are you contributing constructively towards identifying challenges and creating solutions or are you finding fault and generating information that keeps you (and others) from positive progress? If it’s the latter, maybe it’s time to talk it through with someone who can help you be more constructive.
- What information do you need? Gather information and stay abreast of changes, but don’t allow yourself to become distracted. With access to global, 24 hour media, it’s easy to keep reading the same news in different ways and quickly become unproductive.
At Organic P&O Solutions we help people change the way they think and behave so organisations become more effective. To find out more please take a look at our Leadership Development and Organisation Development pages.
If you could use a fresh perspective or some guidance in navigating through a period of transition, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to hear from you and talk about how we can help.f you like what you’re reading here please feel free to share and subscribe to our newsletter so you receive our latest hints and tips straight to your inbox.
If you like what you’re reading here please feel free to share it with others who may be interested. You can also subscribe to our newsletter so you receive our latest hints and tips straight to your inbox.